Owner’s Protective Professional Indemnity (OPPI)
The Owner’s Protective Professional Indemnity (OPPI) policy was developed to provide owners of construction projects an alternative to project-specific professional liability policies. The OPPI extends coverage to the owner only, for damages arising out of professional liability created by the design team on the project.
- Cost-effective alternative to project insurance
- Offers difference in coverage above the underlying professional liability, including pollution, mold, construction management, and contractual liability.
- Defense cost for third-party claims arising out of the design professional’s services
- Coverage can be provided for liability of the owner’s professional services
- Typical premiums begin around $75,000 for the $1M per loss/$1M aggregate limit of liability.
- Policy Forms: The OPPI provides the owner with coverage for damages that exceed the primary professional liability policy of the design professional arising out of professional services performed by the design professionals. The OPPI also offers an owner “difference in coverage” above the design professional’s professional liability insurance, and offers defense for third party claims. The OPPI can be written on a project specific basis or “blanket” (all construction projects of the owner) basis.
- Policy Term: Annual – Blanket Policy (meaning all projects under construction for the owner/named insured). Up to 5 years with a 5 year extended reporting period for project specific policies.
- Limits of Liability: $125M per loss/$125M aggregate limit of liability if structured with multiple carriers from the professional liability insurance marketplace. $50M per loss/$50M aggregate with any one particular carrier.
- Minimum Insurance Requirements for Design Professionals: As a requirement of coverage, typical OPPI policies request that the underlying design professional carry a professional liability policy with at least $1M per loss/$1M aggregate limits of liability. Higher limit requirements may be applied for different types of projects and for cost savings.
- Retentions: $100,000 minimum and are self-insured retentions. The SIR only applies in the event the underlying design professional’s professional liability is impaired or exhausted. If that happens, the SIR under the OPPI applies only to that portion that is not available.
Add an additional layer of protection to your construction project with a TSIB-brokered Owner’s Protective Professional Indemnity policy.